Please take a moment and browse around, read about our history, look into your eligibility to join our ranks, and leave a message for the webmaster or the public. As you do so, please keep in mind the purpose of the Sons of the American Revolution. It is, simply put: “to perpetuate the memory of those who, by their services or sacrifices during the war of the American Revolution, achieved the independence of the American People.”
Any man of age eighteen (18) years or over, who is a lineal descendant of an ancestor who supported the war for American independence is eligible for membership in the Sons of the American Revolution. These ancestors are referred to as Revolutionary War Patriots and include those persons who fought in the military and/or militia, who provided supplies to the American cause, who served on political bodies supporting the Revolution, who signed oaths of support and similar acts.
Lt. George Ewing Chapter, Sons of the American Revolution: A Brief History
In October, 1936, Mr. Alvin E. Wagner, then the Director of the Ohio University Extension Division, organized Ewing’s chapter of the Sons American Revolution. It was chartered for Meigs, Athens, and Vinton county with Athens as headquarters with rotating meetings. Petitioners for the charter were Alvin on Wagner, Lorin Nye, Joseph Heidler, Augustus Townsend, Harley Noler, all of Athens: James Darby and Milton Cox of MacArthur; and Orville Daily of Albany. The organizational meeting was held at the Hotel Berry in Athens OH. There were 22 charter members. The last surviving charter member was Wallace Bradford of Tuppers Plains, Ohio, who passed away two years ago. At that time, meetings were held in members homes, the Hotel Berry, the Athens County Courthouse, the American Legion, and the Ohio University Inn.
Past presidents of the chapter include Alvin Wagner, Joseph Heidler, Franz Woodworth, Raymond Lee, Karl Kasten, Dewey Goddard, Edwin Taylor, Ellis Woodward, Dwight Rutherford, Harold Bobo, Foster Coe, and William Diles. The chapter, being dormant since 1977, was activated by Keith Ashley of Pomeroy in 1986. The chapter is named for Lt. George Ewing who first visited the area in the Spring of 1797 with a 2nd visit that same fall along with Capt. Benjamin Brown.